1. Talking to friends.
2. Going to the supermarket.
(it's great for 80s classics.)
3. Just reading stuff.
4. Watching my Facebook feed.
6. Going to a show, and
(a) catching the opening band (or bands).
(b) talking to other people at the show.
(c) looking at the bill of other upcoming artists.
7. Driving by a venue, and looking at the sign of upcoming shows.
8. Going to a festival.
9. Watching a festival on YouTube.
10. Checking out the flyer for a festival, and trying out a few artists I don't know.
11. Going to a bar. A band starts playing.
12. Seeing a movie. Checking out the soundtrack or composer when I get home.
13. Watching a DVD. Checking out the soundtrack or composer later.
14. Going to a party or get together, noticing what's playing.
15. Eavesdropping on a music conversation.
16. Singing karaoke.
17. Walking down a street in congested urban area with music blaring out of cars.
18. Going out to eat.
19. Hearing a sample in a rap song. Researching the sample, and discovering an old band.
20. Listening to a song that references another artist
(shout out, whatever, ie, Drake referencing Mac Dre, etc.)
21. Turning on a Pandora station.
22. Turning on a Songza station.
23. Opening Spotify, and checking out any number of embedded apps.
24. Opening the Rdio iPad app, checking out new releases and top charting albums.
25. Checking out any number of charts:
(a) BigChampagne's Ultimate Chart
(b) Billboard's Hot 100, top 200 albums, etc.
(c) Spotify's most-listened...
26. Noticing someone's t-shirt.
27. Turning on FM radio.
28. Turning off FM radio, and turning on Sirius XM Radio.
29. Attending a sporting event.
30. Opening the iTunes Store, and looking at featured releases.
31. Opening my own iTunes collection, and playing something I don't even recognize
(that I downloaded long ago).
33. Checking out any 'various artists' albums.
34. Checking out remixes of tracks I like, then checking out the remixing DJs.
35. Wondering who sings that song, then finding out.
38. Watching TV. Seeing a commercial that features an artist and a great track.
39. Watching the Super Bowl.
40. Going out, seeing an amazingly good street performer.
41. Travelling, especially to foreign countries.
43. Trying YouTube recommended clips.
44. Music blogs.
45. Hype Machine.
46. Thinking something sucks, then changing my mind and listening to it.
47. Finding out the influences of an artist I like.
48. Checking out a new app, like thefuture.fm.
49. An artist dies.
50. Going to a club.
52. Listening to KCRW.
54. Guest rappers.
55. Beefing rappers.
56. Realizing I've heard a song over, and over, and over again, without even realizing it.
57. Checking out my father's CD collection.
58. Watching an artist documentary, which invariably references stuff I didn't know, and features interviews with artists I'd forgotten about or didn't know in the first place.
59. Listening to an ad on Spotify, either for music or a nearby, upcoming show.
60. Hanging out with my niece.
61. Coffeehouses, including Starbucks.
62. Getting shockingly bored of my stale music collection or playlists.